Girls Get IT!
Technology is changing our world. Diversity in computing is lacking. Increase girls’ confidence in computer science!
Monday - Thursday
10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
$350, or $285 if students register before June 9*
Open to students entering Grades 4-6 in the Fall
*Note: This camp takes place on the East Campus
Girls Get IT is an introductory coding camp for elementary school girls. Students will learn the foundations for programming and discover newfound confidence in themselves as innovators and activists—all while having lots of fun. Now in its second year, Girls Get IT is a classroom designed by girls, for girls. Lunch and snacks are included every day.
- Create fun program templates in Scratch, like color changing animal sprites, animating your name, or games that navigate mazes
- Work with Circuit Playground Express, learn to code their circuits through a block based Arduino platform (like Scratch!), and use the LEDs and sound features
- Warm up with an introduction to ciphering and code-breaking using a Caesar Cipher Wheel, logic puzzles and wuzzles, algorithm games, and binary friendship bracelet making
- Brainstorm, create, and present your own unique programs
- Take field trips to an IT company and an escape room (dates TBD)
- Discuss internet safety and appropriate use of social media
- Be inspired by female guest speakers and exposed to career paths and further educational spaces
- Enjoy a culminating celebration of the week on Friday that includes distribution of certificates of completion.
- Take home a camp t-shirt, water bottle, backpack, any hardware they tinker with, and lots of other fun swag.
*Full tuition scholarships are available. To apply for a scholarship, select "Apply for a Girls IT scholarship" as the payment option in the registration process. A member of our team will reach out to you to confirm remaining scholarship spaces.